Prof. Christopher Leung, Clinical Professor
Dr. Alexander Lam, Research Officer, Image and Data Scientist
Ms. Elaine To, Postgraduate Student
Dr. Ken Wu, Postdoctoral Fellow
Mr. Calvin Hung, Research Assistant
Mr. Akira Tang, Research Assistant
Clinical evaluation of vision-related disability is hampered by the lack of instruments that can integrate different domains of visual function to report real-world performance. Our lab has designed and developed interactive virtual reality environments displayed in a binocular stereoscopic VR headset, simulating day-to-day activities to evaluate vision-related disability. A start-up company, ACE VR Limited, supported by Technology Start-up Support Scheme for Universities (2016-2019), was founded in 2016 to translate our patented VR technology from the laboratory to clinical application. ACE VR Limited was admitted to the Cyberport Incubation Program in 2019.
Selected Research Grants
1. Evaluation of visual disability in a virtual reality environment
Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Fund (Project Reference ITS/338/15)
2. Hong Kong Innovation and Technology Commission Technology Start-up Support Scheme for Universities (Project Reference TSSSU/CUHK/16/08)
3. Applying virtual reality simulations to determine the development of vision-related disability in patients with glaucoma – A 3-year prospective study
Hong Kong Health and Medical Research Fund (Project Reference: 08190276 – recommended for support in March 2021)
Lam AKN, To E, Weinreb RN, Yu M, Mak H, Lai G, Chiu V, Wu K, Zhang X, Cheng TP, Guo PY, *Leung CKS. Use of virtual reality simulation to identify vision-related disability in patients with glaucoma. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020;138:490-498.
* Corresponding Author
Leung CK, Lam AKN, To E. Visual Disability Detection System Using Virtual Reality (U.S. Patent No.US20170273552A1). Filed on 22 March 2017. Application granted on 25 February 2020.
1. Smart Living (Smart Healthcare) Gold Award, Hong Kong Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Awards 2019
2. Smart Living Grand Award 2019, Hong Kong Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Awards 2019
3. World Information Technology and Services Alliance Global Information and Communications Excellence Award 2019
4. 中國機器人產業發展高峰論壇最具潛力智能醫療產業大獎-臨床應用類 2017
5. Asia Pacific Information and Communications Technology Alliance Award 2019